L & T Placement Paper May 2011:
Directions 1-4: In each of the following questions, out of the given alternatives, choose the one which best expresses the meaning of the given word.
A. Lament B. Soothe C. Denounce D. Loathe
A. Scold B. attach C. Wear off D. Twist
A. Darken B. Abolish C. Differentiate D. Confuse
A. Communicate B. Paint C. Express D. Draw
5. A person starts walking at a speed of 5 km/hr through half the distance, rest of the distance he covers with a speed 4km/hr. Total time of travel is 9 hours. What is the maximum distance he can cover?
6. Initially two cups of same volume are present with milk filled upto 3/5th and 4/5th of their volumes. Water is then filled. Then two mixtures are mixed. Find the ratio of water to milk in the mixture.
Ans: 3 : 7
7. Three piles of chips--pile I consists one chip, pile II consists of chips, and pile III consists of three chips are to be used in game played by Anita and Brinda. The game requires:
a) That each player in turn take only one chip or all chips from just one pile.
b) That the player who has to take the last chip loses.
c) That Anita now have her turn. From which pile should Anita draw in order to win?
Ans. Pile II
8. Mr. and Mrs. Aye and Mr. and Mrs. Bee competed in a chess tournament. Of the three games played:
a) In only the first game were the two players married to each other.
b) The men won two games and the women won one game.
c) The Ayes won more games than the Bees.
d) Anyone who lost game did not play the subsequent game. Who did not lose a game?
9.If Leader is coded as Actor, Actor as an Administrator, Administrator as a Traitor, Traitor as a Social-reformer, then who takes part in the Parliamentary elections?
(E) None of these
Ans : (E)
10. In a car wheel, two spokes cover 15 degree. Then for the entire car, how many spokes are there?
11. What is the angle of degree suspended when two hands of clock showing the time 2:30?
Ans: 105 degrees
12. The age difference between two brothers is 3 years. After 6 years the ratio between the age is 9:8. What are their ages?
Ans: 21 and 18
13. A person's salary is getting reduced by 20%. What percentage should be added to get back his original salary?
14. Two persons start at the same point, walk in opposite directions with 5 km/hr and 5.5 km/hr respectively. What is the distance separated after 2 and half hrs?
Ans: 26.25 (approx)
15. If '245' means—'Art and Talent' in a certain code language, '316' means— 'Callous to Generous', '147' means— 'Callous and Polite' then what is the code used for 'to' ?
(A) Only 3
(B) Only 1
(C) 3 or 6
(D) Only 6
(E) None of these
Ans : (C)
Directions ( questions 16-20 ): Read the following information carefully and answer the questions given below :
(1)A, B, C, D and E are five friends.
(2)B is elder to E, but not as tall as C.
(3)C is younger to A, and is taller to D and E.
(4)A is taller to D, But younger to E.
(5)D is elder to A but is shorter in the group.
16. Who among the following is the eldest?
A). A B). B C). C D). D E). None of these
17. Which of the following pairs of students is elder to D?
A) BA B). BC C). BE D) EA E) None of these
18. Which of the following statements is correct about B?
1) B is not the tallest 2) B is shorter to E
(3)When they are asked to stand in ascending order with respect to their heights, B is in the middle
A) Only (1) is correct B) Only (1) and (3) are correct C) All are correct D) All are incorrect E) None of these
19. If F, another friend is taller than C, how many of them will be between F and E according to their height?
A) None B) One C) Two D) Three E) None of these
20. If a selection is to be made among them who would be relatively older and also taller, who among them should be chosen?
A) A B) B C) C D) D E) E
21. In a class composed of x girls and y boys what part of the class is composed of girls ?
A. y/(x + y)
C. x/(x + y)
22. What is the maximum number of half-pint bottles of cream that can be filled with a 4-gallon can of cream(2 pt.=1 qt. and 4 qt.=1 gal)
23. If the operation,^ is defined by the equation x ^ y = 2x + y, what is the value of a in 2 ^ a = a ^ 3
24. A coffee shop blends 2 kinds of coffee, putting in 2 parts of a 33p. a gm. grade to 1 part of a 24p. a gm. If the mixture is changed to 1 part of the 33p. a gm. to 2 parts of the less expensive grade, how much will the shop save in blending 100 gms.
25. There are 200 questions on a 3 hr examination. Among these questions are 50 mathematics problems. It is suggested that twice as much time be spent on each maths problem as for each other question. How many minutes should be spent on mathematics problems